Will you go OUT with me?
This year Latino Outdoors in Texas joined in on the movement … #OptOutside & #ViernesVerde!
Last year REI the nation’s largest consumer co-op and specialty outdoor retailer made the brilliant decision to close all of their stores (143 to be exact) and pay it’s 12,000 employees on the biggest shopping day of the year (Black Friday)! They basically said Opt Outside! Hike, bike, snowboard, camp, kayak … just go! Well you don’t have to tell me twice : ).
On black Friday in Texas, we went Hiking!
With some grant funding fom REI I knew exactly where I wanted to go for our 1st annual event in Texas. With over 10 miles of Hiking Trails Friedrich Wilderness Park in San Antonio,Texas was the chosen destination.
Friedrich Wilderness Park Facts:
- The park was developed with a grant from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and was dedicated on August 31, 1978.
- The park is in the transition zone between the flat South Texas region and the Texas Hill Country.
- It is internationally known for bird watching, with nesting sites for two federal listed endangered species of birds: the Black-capped Vireo and the Golden-cheeked Warbler.
- Handicapped accessible trails.
- No Fires and no smoking.
- To protect the endangered species … Pedestrians only! (no pets)
It’s moments like this. In Nature we Nuture the soul.
The weather was perfect, the smiles were endless and the talks on the trails were heartfelt. You could sense the confidence building! We had a wonderful guide Nicole who shared her wealth of knowledge on the plants and wildlife at Friedrich.
Latino Outdoors In Texas.
I wanted the 1st Annual Vamos Outdoors/Opt Ouside event to be successful. I wanted my group to be inspired and excited to be outdoors. The event was to share and showcase the beauty that is nature. Hiking locally and finding a great park to get lost in together was just the start for us. We made memories and then captured it on canvas. Art in the park : ).
The importance of the day was spending quality time Outside and we did just that! In San Antonio we represented proudly and fearlessly.
A park, a picnic, some painting, and for dessert … Pan dulce (sweet bread)!
Fitfunand … Take a hike : ))!!